Tuesday, December 2, 2008

That place.

Ever have a place that you hold as being "the place" that epitomizes what you hold true? Chapel Hill is that place for me. I have found myself thinking of my time there so much lately. What do I miss? It isn't the college atmosphere/life so much (although one night of dancing or a frat party and late night visit to Time Out *might* be kind of neat!)...it's the life apart from that that I got to experience during the summers and when I taught at the Montessori school. I miss how everyone is so laid back, the way it is hard to easily distinguish between who is "rich", who is "poor." I miss the level of acceptance you find there...whether it be race, religion or beliefs. I miss the people and the sights and the smells. Now, why don't we move there? Well it isn't the "place" for me and my family-I don't really see us ever living there in all honestly. It is more like somewhere I revisit mostly when I feel fustrated or cornered in my current area/life. When I feel like sometimes I am struggling to, as cheesy as this sounds, be who I want to be; when I feel like I am fighting sometimes against prejudices that exist. Ok, so I am not exsisting in a complete fantasy world, I just allow "that place" to be my escape, granted it had its pitfalls too ;)

Crocheting update: I made what I tried to pass off to my husband as a blanket for Alexis' tiny doll. When I gave it to her she was excited, then examined it and then promptly thru it on the floor....seems I have a tough critic to impress!

1 comment:

Julianna said...

I have "that place" too.
But you're right, living there now would never be the same.

I want pics of your projects!