Sunday, December 7, 2008

On the Farm

I know it may sound crazy, I know I have friends worried if I'll ever shave my legs again (haha) but I really want to live on a farm! I'm serious about this. As soon as the market is more favorable we would love to sell our house and buy some land. I already looked into it, and any and all livestock are not permitted in our neighborhood-had to go buy a copy of the bylaws from the courthouse-that was an adventure. I recognize I am not an expert in this "field" but I am currently trying to learn all I can AND I have my Dad. He grew up on a farm and shares my current interest. Even if we don't move by the Spring, which it's likely we won't, we have big plans for a huge garden and canning thereafter. Jose Luis graciously cleared a big area at the back of our current property for said garden (only 1.5 years after he promised to do so). Not only are current food prices sometimes a tad scary but the idea of being able to be self sustaining as much as possible is super interesting, smart and has so many benefits for me and my family. I would love to be able to have Alexis grow up with a greater appreciation and understanding of nature than I did. I also love talking with my father about all we could, can, and will do in the future. I think it would be something my parents would love as well. Anyways, I got rid of any overalls I had years ago and won't be buying any real soon but hopefully I'll have myself a real live egg laying chicken, bountiful garden and some fresh milk one day! Oh, and at least for the moment ;) I plan on keeping my legs hair free!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I think that's great! I grew up on a farm and loved it, even as prissy as I am. Promise me you'll get little goats for me to love on!

Mariana said...

Oh there will be goats!