Saturday, January 17, 2009

Offsetting.

This is actually difficult for me to do; to out myself, if you will. I live in a semi-constant state of shame over one thing: I drive a big 'ole SUV. There I said it *ducking*. So, I live daily trying to offset this HUGE contribution to my carbon footprint. I am constantly exploring ways for us to save more energy. We cloth diaper and utilize freecycle to help eliminate waste. We are an all cloth house (napkins, towels, etc.) except for toilet paper, but that doesn't mean I haven't tried to convince Jose Luis to go to family cloth! I use reusable shopping bags. You get the point. I did these things prior to buying this vehicle but now feel that there is NO way I can ever let down my guard...haha.

All of this to try and make me somehow feel like I am offsetting the SUV. So, why drive it you may ask? First of all, let me say that I actually do like my vehicle and all the ammenities it offers. I can admit that. However, in choosing a vehicle my husband wanted to get the SUV because it can, and is, utilized often for our personal and business use. Yes (and another thing I should hang my head for..lol) I have had a trailer and even one time a mixer on the back of my Navigator! We do utilize it but I am currently researching getting a smaller vehicle if we can sell this one and then maybe get Luis another truck. The guilt is starting to eat away at me!


In other news, I felt so incredibly stupid when I got home yesterday and realized I purchased a Diet Cheerwine at the store for lunch and didn't even remember about the no caffeine thing. I don't know what I was thinking...bad habits die hard I suppose. I had a killer headache and felt like I was going to throw up last night but have no clue if the two are related. Oh well, damage done; we move on.

1 comment:

Julianna said...

You know -- with the new job -- your commute is much shorter -- so you should go easy on yourself. It's not just all of the things you've done to "offset" -- you've also converted me to cloth shopping bags -- and hoping to cloth diaper our next baby.

You're a crunchy example to me!!